Sunday 11 September 2011

So...Charlie



Big news...you can read it in the comments from my first post anyway, but a guy asked me out right on the blog! (I’m trying to figure out how to make the comments display without requiring you to click the ‘comments’ link, work in progress.) I wasn’t sure whether to post anything about it, because it’s posted already. I also wasn’t sure if I had to say yes, because the rules were designed for people who aren’t in the know about the project. My first gray area in this project. After a little debate I decided that if I’m dating with no filter, then I can’t say no. How counterproductive is it to decline my very first request? So I talked to Sarah, our mutual friend, she passed along my number, and he texted me. Hmm, was shooting for a phone call. Oh well. 
After talking for a while, I began to wonder if this was cheating. Why am I talking and learning about him, when that’s what a date is for? Isn’t he supposed to ask me out? At this point, Charlie says, “So what did Sarah tell you about me?” and sadly, my honest answer was nothing. I would have been happy if she’d said, “oh you’ll like Charlie a lot,” or “he’s just a really cool guy,” but all I had learned was that he didn’t really like baseball.  I didn’t even have basics like university or hometown.
These basics would have been nice to know, because it was at here, after an hour of texting, that I discovered this kid lives TWO HOURS away. He goes, “I’ll give you two options. I can tell ya a lot about me now, or I can tell you a little and save the rest if you did want to go on a date. Now, the catch is I most likely won’t be back until November for Thanksgiving, or December for Christmas.” 
Well good, he asked me out. And caused a clusterfuck with everything else. I still have to find a date for September, but I may have lined one up for November or December, which is nice. (I’d been thinking that hunting in December could be pretty difficult.) In the mean time, do I talk with him? If I do, at what point does it become pointless to call the Nov/Dec date a “first date,” because we already know all that initial stuff? Or do we not talk at all for 2 ½ to 4 months? Waiting would be fine with me, except now that I talked with him, I’m kind of curious about Charlie. But I’m not keen on starting something because I don’t want to have some back-burner textversation thing when I’m supposed to be seeing guys. On dates. In real life. Is there such thing as a phone date? Is there any way to get around the geographic difference so we can have a real life date?

Gray area, gray area, gray area. I honestly thought all my rules were straightforward and comprehensive. Yet here at my first encounter, everything’s been thrown out the window. I feel like the project is the one taking me on an adventure, instead of me using it to try something new. There’s never a dull moment I guess. Let me know what you guys think, but for now my plan is to set the tentative date for Thanksgiving or Christmas, and not talk to Charlie until I’ve gone on a couple dates, and gotten my feet wet. On that note, I still need a date for this month, any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment